1 topic, 2 key figures, 3 startups to draw inspiration from
- Route planning combining several modes of transport, personalized according to user preferences and real-time traffic
- Route planning + ticketing for multi-operator ticket distribution
- Route planning + ticketing + pricing consolidating the pricing systems of several operators into all-inclusive mobility packages and customer acquisition mechanisms
- Fully integrated: route planning + ticketing + pricing + incentives promoting green transport, off-peak travel and redistribution of city and employer subsidies
- Firstly, its business model is hardly sustainable. As with streaming platforms (Spotify or Netflix), you can either pay-as-you-go or choose an unlimited subscription at €4.99/month, but unlike streaming platforms, the marginal costs for a journey are quite high (from €1 per 30-minute bike ride to €10 per 5km taxi ride). Moreover, all-inclusive pricing encourages users to choose modes of transport that are convenient but very costly to operate. In addition, the on-demand public transport coverage needs to be high to get users to sign up. However, it is a sustainable option when it covers fixed needs such as commuting trips or first- and last-mile connectivity.
- Another barrier to relevant MaaS offerings is the need for public transport data. Access to commuter data is essential for public and private players to understand how people travel, identify market gaps and adapt services and products accordingly. For instance, The New South Wales Government has made transport data publicly available to encourage innovation.
2 Key Figures
3 startups to draw inspiration from
This week, we identified three startups that we can draw inspiration from: Whim, Immense and Betterway.
Whim is an internationally awarded Finnish mobility application that allows you to book and pay for all your trips one trip at a time or with a convenient seasonal order. Whim has already made more than 16 million trips.
The Immense platform enables you to rapidly test the important strategic and operational decisions for global transportation in the digital world – taking away the risk of expensive assumptions and sunk costs.
Betterway is the leading platform for enterprise mobility management. Like the transport refund, you can now set up the “Forfait mobilité durable”. It allows your employees to use their personal bicycles or to buy one, to use car-sharing or car-pooling solutions and even to use mobility with free access in the street.